My son Joshua and I were having a discussion about musicals – me mostly defending his music teacher while he made classic twelve-year-old-male gagging noises. I grew up with my mom and grandma raising me, and I love old movies and musicals. Josh was trashing “The Sound of Music” and I started singing “These are a few of my favorite thiiiiings…” (I am NO Julie Andrews, mind you!) But I started thinking about my personal list of things that make me smile:
- Favorite Books: Mrs. Mike, Little Women, The Ladies of Mandrigyn, & Starbridge
- Favorite Musical: Kismet (although I love anything HOWARD KEEL sings in)
- Favorite “Old”/Classic Movie: Tossup between Philadelphia Story, Bringing Up Baby & Mogambo
- Favorite Classic Actor/Actress: Cary Grant/Katharine Hepburn
- Favorite Modern Actor: Gerard Butler & Johnny Depp
- Favorite Modern Actress: Judy Dench & Sandra Bullock
- Favorite Modern Movies:
- Comedy : While You Were Sleeping, My Big Fat Greek Wedding & RED
- Serious: Rob Roy, Last of the Mohicans & The Blind Side
- Fantasy: LOTR & Willow
I love Julia Roberts’ laugh and Anne Hathaway’s smile. I love Renaissance Fairs and Medieval costumes. I love faerie & dragon artwork. I love collecting snowmen. I love autumn colors and horseback riding through the woods in fall. I love the smell of fresh brewed coffee and fresh baked bread. I love that my 10-pound cat can take my 45-pound Chow. I love scrapbooking and watching the snow fall and sleeping in.
I love that my children still hug me and laugh at my jokes. I love the sound of my cat purring and taking my Chow for a walk. I love visiting my local art museum and taking my kids to the zoo. I love tearing up every time I listen to Thrasher Shiver’s “You and I Belong.”
I think it’s important to appreciate everything in your life that makes YOU smile. Take a moment to take stock of all the good, little things you experience every day. They keep you sane when the bad things roll around.